Head of Student Services
We are looking for a Head of Student Services to join our ground-breaking school for young Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander girls.
Girl Academy is a new Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander boarding school, the first in Australia, catering for school-aged mothers (and their children), and other young Indigenous girls needing a second chance at schooling. Girl Academy provides girls with the opportunity to complete their schooling through customised delivery models, supplemented by health and wellbeing supports delivered by professional staff.
As the key reference point for the Principal for student wellbeing matters, the role includes (but will not be limited to):
- Leading the implementation of Girl Academy's student wellbeing program across a multi-disciplinary team, ensuring genuine links with curriculum, Individual Education Plans and Individual Curriculum Plans.
- Work with the school leadership team to embed student wellbeing into recreation activities.
- Development and case management of individual education/curriculum and wellbeing plans for each student (and their children as applicable).
- Implementing approved proactive and preventative programs, tailored to support the health and wellbeing of students and their children.
- Working in conjunction with other specialists in the school team to ensure a positive learning environment for all students.
- Where qualified and registered to do so (and as approved by the Principal), provide specialist health and/or therapy services to students.
- Liaise with external referral professionals on student/dependent matters as specified in the school's case management framework.
- Maintain the student health and wellbeing records in accordance with school and regulatory policy.
- Ensure compliance with QCAA obligations.
- Provide careers education and develop post school transition plans for students.
- Provide support for staff and students in the event of critical incident (if applicable).
Qualifications and Experience:
- Bachelor level qualifications (minimum) in the field of education.
Experience in working with disadvantaged Indigenous teenage girls to support their academic outcomes,personal development and wellbeing (including mental health), with particular expertise in:
- The development and case management of individual wellbeing plans; and
- The development and delivery of health and wellbeing program in a school setting.
- Demonstrated knowledge of post-secondary school pathway options and experience in the development and case management of:
- Individual student learning plans in a secondary school environment; and
- Education adjustment plans for students with a disability (including verification processes).
- Demonstrated capacity to implement new initiatives, across a multi-disciplinary environment, which support the wellbeing and engagement of young mothers and/or students at risk.
- Current Police Check and Blue Card (for child related employment) and/or declaration of no known reason why an application for either qualification would be unsuccessful.
- Open QLD drivers licence (manual).
If you think you have the potential to become a valuable member of our team, we'd like to hear from you!